Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What to do?

I blogged a few weeks ago about needing a new bread machine. http://richterihart-meandmyboys.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-labored-on-labor-day.html My good friend Lynna suggested using a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Richard got me one for my birthday last year, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but the bread dough isn't rising as much as it did when I used my bread machine. I dissolve the yeast in warm water (about 115 degrees) and then add the rest of the wet ingredients & then the dry. I even mixed the dough longer that I did the last time, but it still isn't rising like it should. Any suggestions?

I'm just warming up the oven to put my latest loaf in the oven, and it is so much smaller than the loafs that I get when I use the bread machine. Help!

4 comments:

  1. Gee, I wish I could help.
    I haven't made homemade bread in maybe decades.
    (When I used to make it my hips would get wide.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe I use is pretty healthy, except for the carbs, of course. Honey, instead of sugar, water, vegetable oil, flour, oatmeal, salt & yeast. That's it. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll post it if you post a comment that you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you using new yeast?? Letting it rise for about 1 hour? I'm not much of a bread maker myself. Sorry if I gave you bad advice. I know Clint's mom just has the wrong "chemistry". She can't touch bread or it doesn't rise. I've decided it takes lots of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its not new yeast, but its been in the fridge. I bought a big package of it at Sam's Club & its the yeast I've been using with my bread machine. I've been letting it rise about an hour. The loaf I baked yesterday did rise a bit more after I put it in the oven, so it wasn't tiny, but its smaller than normal.

    Its not bad advice. It works great with mixing it. I'll just keep trying until I figure it out. I might get some new yeast and see it that does it.

    ReplyDelete