Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What a dreary day!

Its a cool, gray, overcast day. We got a little rain this morning, but nothing happening this afternoon except cool breezes occassionally wafting through our open windows. Its 66 degrees right now. The high is supposed to be 75. I don't think its going to make it.

For some, this next topic will be boring, but I'm excited about it, and since this is my blog, I'm going to talk about it! :) Richard and I are HUGE Stargate: SG1 & Stargate: Atlantis fans. (maybe me moreso than Richard) Last season was Stargate: Atlantis' (SGA) 5th and final season. I was pretty faithful about watching them on SciFi Friday nights, but the few episodes I missed I bought the digital downloads off Amazon.com and watched on our PC or laptop. Well, Season 5 became available June 24th. I had pre-ordered it on amazon.com, and it shipped out late last week. It came in the mail yesterday. I was so excited I could (and can) hardly contain myself! I watched some of the bonus features already and the first couple of episodes. With subtitles & commentary on, of course. It drives Richard nuts, so I only do that when he's not watching with me. I like the subtitles cause one of the characters (Dr. Rodney McKay) talks so fast sometimes its hard to catch what he says. And the commentary? To get the perspective of the writers/directors/producers/actors, though not necessarily all of them are doing commentary on a particular episode. Don't worry, Dad. I'll be sure to bring it down when we come in August. :)

Nathaniel has his last 2 days of summer school pre-kindergarten this week. He starts pre-k in the fall. And so we've been struggling to get him potty trained. He knows what he is supposed to do. He wakes up dry most mornings. He likes to go potty in public bathrooms - at the store, restaurant, etc, but is reluctant to go at home. We even bought him a toddler sized urinal. Yeah, I'm not kidding. Check it out @ http://www.peterpotty.com/ It actually flushes, which he likes to do, but getting him to actually pee in it, well, that's another thing all together. We've tried borrowing Grandpa Dave's train clock, and letting him push the button that makes train sounds and sending the train around the outside of the clock. That's worn off. (we'll bring it in August, Dad) We've tried Tootsie Rolls as a reward. That doesn't work anymore, either. Nathaniel is just so stubborn and independent like Richard that it isn't funny. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. We can't make him go, its the same premise as "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." If we even try to make him go into the bathroom (or to his potty downstairs) he has a meltdown.

If the weather improves tomorrow, I'm going to take the boys swimming in the afternoon. Its supposed to be partly sunny and 86 degrees, so we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. That is the coolest urinal. I saw that when I shopping for Caroline's potty (which is just the regular kind) and thought it was such a great idea for boys... you'll have to let me know how you guys like when all is said and done. I imagine I'll have to do something like that for Andrew when its time (not for a while).

    ReplyDelete