Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Broken Heart....

Poor David. He made a comment tonight about how glad he was that he was going to get to take all his things to heaven. I had to explain that we didn't take our things to heaven because we won't need them. (I was on the phone with Richard's aunt during the first part of this conversation) I thought that was the end of the conversation as he didn't say anything else. Then I heard the sobs, and turned to find tears streaming down his little face. It wasn't so much the Transformers he was worried about. It was his teddy bear, Bear, that he's had since he was about 2 years old. Amid the sobs and tears he said that he would miss Bear so much, because he was his favorite bear and he was soft and fluffy and always had a smile on his face. (this is making me teary eyed as I type this) I kept trying to explain that we don't need to take things with us because we'll have so much to do in heaven, like talk to Jesus and a few other things, that we won't need our things that we have now, but he just wasn't getting it. I think part of it was he was really tired and the other part was he didn't understand. This kid asks questions I never expected a 6 year old to ask. After about 15 minutes of this, I finally got him to change the subject to his snack for the night, but I know this is going to come up again eventually. I did tell him that he doesn't need to worry about not getting to take Bear to heaven right now because he's not going to heaven for a long, long, long time.

1 comment: